May 12, 2023
Bees and flying insects are a common sight around homes, gardens, and community parks. While some of them are harmless and contribute positively to the ecosystem, others pose serious health hazards and can cause damage to our property. Whether you're allergic to bee stings or want to protect your home from harmful insects, here are a few tips on how to identify, prevent, and control bees and flying insects around your home.
Identify Bees and Insects
The first step in bee and insect control is proper identification. Different species of bees and flying insects have different behaviors, habitats, and risks.
- Honeybees are beneficial pollinators. They’re busy and social beings, and are broken into three categories: worker bees, drones, and queens. They’re the friendliest of the bunch, but in rare cases, may attack humans if provoked.
- Wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets are generally drawn to sweets, feed on other insects, and are known for being aggressive. If they feel threatened, they can attack and sting repeatedly, causing severe allergic reactions in some people. It’s best to avoid provoking them, and contact a professional to remove them from your property.
- Mites, gnats, and flies are other common flying insects that you’ll encounter around your home. While they may be a nuisance, they’re generally harmless, and are easy to remove by having a professional perform exterior spray treatment.
Preventing bee and insect infestations is an important measure you can take to keep your home and garden bug-free this summer. It includes:
- Regularly keeping your home and yard clean and dry.
- Removing standing water, trash, and debris from the area, you’ll help reduce the chances of an infestation.
- Fixing leaky pipes, roofs, and windows, and sealing cracks in the foundation of your home.
- Installing screens on doors, windows, and vents.
- Preventing food waste and spills in and around your home.
If you notice an infestation of bees or flying insects around your home, there are several methods of control that you can use. The most effective approach depends on the type of insect and the severity of the infestation. Here are some common control methods:
- Yellow jacket and flying insect traps are effective in capturing and killing bees and insects, especially those that fly low or are attracted to certain scents.
- Commercial baits that contain insecticides or food attractants can lure bees and insects away from your home and poison them.
- Mesh screens, mosquito nets, and electric fans can prevent bees and insects from entering your home or garden.
- Insecticides and pesticides are effective in killing bees and insects, but can be harmful to human health and the environment if not used correctly. It's best to obtain the help of licensed residential pest control services to apply chemicals safely and appropriately.
Seek professional help
If you're unsure about the type of insects in your space and how to get rid of them, it's best to contact a pest control professional who can identify the species and recommend appropriate measures. At Rochester Pest Pro, we have the knowledge and expertise to properly identify, prevent, and control bee and insect infestations around your home. We provide exterior spray treatment services in Rochester, NY and surrounding areas and are happy to help you.
Rochester Pest Pro is a family-owned business that always operates with integrity and puts the needs of our customers first. Give us a call anytime, we're here for you. We can be reached at 585-486-4815 or by writing to us through our secure contact page.