June 26, 2023
Carpenter ants can be a frustrating problem for homeowners and can be difficult to eliminate. They are red black or red in appearance, and can vary in size from 1/2 an inch to 5/8 of an inch long. They aren’t poisonous or dangerous, and don’t usually bite people. However, they do like to chew through wood, and can mostly be found in homes, sheds, eaves, decks, window areas, wooden structures, and anywhere there’s a moisture problem. Carpenter ants are also known for having a central colony surrounded by satellite colonies.
While they may be a nuisance and can cause serious damage, there are steps you can take to help prevent carpenter ant problems around your home. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Locate and remove any rotting or decayed wood from around your home - this is one of the best ways to prevent carpenter ant infestations.
- Remove any moist or rutting mulch, firewood, and lumber.
- Correct any moisture problems in the crawlspace or anywhere water can stand on exposed wood.
- Carpenter ants can enter your home through even the smallest of spaces, so it's important to seal off any potential entry points, and seal gaps in the foundation, crawlspace, and around doors and windows.
If you already see carpenter ants around your home and there are visible signs of damage, here’s are a few next steps:
- Identify the problem. Carpenter ants are known for burrowing into wood. If you’ve noticed sawdust-like debris around wood structures in your yard or home, this is a good sign you have a carpenter ant infestation.
- Find the central colony. This can be difficult to do by yourself. If a satellite colony is exterminated, but the main colony is not, the problem will seem to get better, but you’ll quickly find that it will get worse.
- Call professional pest control technicians like Rochester Pest Pro. We are trained to find and eliminate all carpenter ants, and we offer a year-round preventive maintenance program to ensure your home stays ant-free.
To learn more information and to get started, we invite you to contact us today. We offer exterior spray treatments in Rochester, NY and throughout surrounding areas, and are happy to help protect your home from unwanted pests. Our office can be reached by calling 585-486-4815 or by sending an email through our contact form.