Color: Black or dark brown bodies
Size: 1/8" long
What Do Odorous House Ants Look Like?
Odorous house ants range in color from brown to almost black. Odorous house ants can be from 1/16 to 1/8 inches in length. The antennae of the odorous house ant are bent and have 12 segments. Most notably the odorous house ant gives off a strong smell of rotten coconut when they are crushed.
Are Odorous House Ants Dangerous?
Other than contaminating food (mainly sweets and melons) odorous house ants are not considered dangerous. They do not sting, bite, or carry any disease or pathogens.
Odorous House Ant Habitats
While odorous house ants sometimes nest indoors, they generally prefer nests outside under rocks, flowerpots, mulch, and around trash cans. They can frequently be found in homes foraging for sugary foods or water. Odorous house ants herd aphids which produce honeydew that these ants love to eat.
How Do I Get Rid of Odorous House Ants?
The most effective way to get rid of odorous house ants is by tracking foraging ants back to their nesting area. This can take time and can be quite difficult. Rochester Pest Pro ’s professional pest control technicians have been trained to find and eliminate all odorous house ants as well as other common household pests through our year-round program.
How Can I Prevent Odorous House Ant Problems at My Home or Business?
Start off with a routine maintenance pest program from a pest control expert like those at Rochester pest Pro, then follow these tips:
- Trim trees and bushes away from the structure to prevent ants from using them as a bridge to enter your home or business.
- Keep fruit and sweets in the refrigerator.
- Eliminate any standing water around the perimeter of the building. Be careful not to overwater plants or faulty gutters.
- Seal up cracks in the foundation or basement.
- Use caulking to seal up around windows and doors. Make sure screens are not torn.
- Remove trash from your home regularly and place it in an outdoor trash can with a tight lid.
- Keep trash containers, firewood, and compost piles at least 20 feet from the exterior of your home.
If you suspect a house ant problem, contact Rochester Pest Pro for a quote.